Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

5/01/2005

I'm never going to Mac's Milk again

Granted, I don't have any academic sources or industry intelligence to back this up, but I'm going to make the leap of faith and make an assertion about advertising based solely on my knowledge of communications and consumer psychology.

Ads that make you want to fucking puke are not an effective means of selling foodstuffs.

There, I've said it. And, controversial as it may be, I stand by it.

Now, this isn't just a random thought that popped into my head. This is based on an ad I saw last night that gave me a visceral reaction... one that made my almost spill my lovely Thai meal all over the concrete.

This is the ad that was hanging proudly in the window:


Someone, somewhere in a tall glass building in Toronto, had the solid brass balls to walk into a marketing meeting and say "Here's what we're going to do. BLOODY ZIT Frosters."

Then, someone at an ad agency had to pitch this repulsive idea. I'm sure they thought they were very clever.

So, besides the fact that displaying this image in plain view of everyone who happens to walk past the place is completely offensive, and the fact that the ad itself is disgusting and terrible, what makes this ad suck so much?

When you're crafting a message, you have to speak to your target market. The target market for these sugar-water drinks is (my guess) 12 - 19 year old males. If anyone was going to find this sort of crap funny, it's this market.

Fine.

The problem is that everyone else that sees this thing is going to be disgusted by it. I wasn't planning on going into Mac's, but after seeing that, I probably wouldn't have.

Negative imagery in advertising is very dangerous. For a while, it was common to see ads showing the reprecussions of not using their product, and I've noticed that this sort of thing comes in waves. It was very popular in the early days of advertising, and comes back every once in a while.

The problem with it is, if I can't stand to look at the picture you're showing me, I'm probably not going to stick around for the sales pitch. The weird thing about this one is that it's using disgusting things to sell the product, not as a negative pitch.

It's an interesting approach, however stupid it may be.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Andrew said...

Excellent work so far Ryan - keep it up! A new bookmark for me to procastinate with.

5/02/2005 02:04:00 AM

 
Blogger Bill German said...

cool photo

5/03/2005 01:43:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home