Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

7/04/2005

Back in the office

I made a valiant attempt to post over my vacation, but damned if I just couldn't get myself to give two craps about advertising while I was on vacation. I spent about ten days at the Ottawa Fringe Festival, which had an amazing display of some of the best theatre I've seen anywhere. I took in over fourteen plays, and felt a little cleansed afterward.

I was actually inspired to write a one-man play about advertising... if it doesn't suck, I might post some of it here once it's done.

Anyway, on to the ads:

Someone wrote and asked what I thought of the new Toronto rebranding. I anticipated the launch of it, and when I saw it, it met exactly what I expected my expectations would be.

Meh.

It's really the best word to describe it, and it's not because they didn't have some great people working on the campaign, because they did. I have mixed feelings about branding a city, and most of them stem from the fact that the fear of PR backlash is so great that you really have to water down anything you do, or people will bitch and moan, as they are wont to do.

So... Toronto: Unlimited.


It's safe. It's meaningless. You could apply it to any city in the world (though Zimbabwe Unlimited might be a little too ironic to be appreciated). But nobody's going to get mad. And guaranteed that's what 3/4 of the $4million was spent on.

I might riff tomorrow on their launch campaign, which is kind of terrible, but Blogger is giving me some trouble with uploading photos, and I have to get back to work.

Edit: Uploaded logo

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe Boughner said...

It's much, MUCH better than "Ottawa: Technically Beautiful," though the font looks really akward to me.

Oh, and Zimbabwe isn't a city.

7/04/2005 11:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Your mother isn't a city.

7/05/2005 01:06:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home