Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

7/07/2005

Fibonacci would be so proud

It's good to see that I'm not the only opinionated asshole taking the piss out of the world of advertising. Seth Godin points to Grant Hutchinson's critique of the overuse of the spiral in logo design.

splorp. critique. spirals

It's worth pointing out that my past consulting company was called Spiral Media, and had the predictable corresponding logo. I'll have to post it here if I can find it.

See? I can make fun of my own work, too.

By way of a disclaimer, I'd like to say that for my part, I quite like most of these logos, but Grant points to a common trend in graphic design. For whatever reason, certain things are "in" for a good long time, until eventually they jump the shark. I've worked with a number of clients who still had their 1970s "let's take our initials and repeat them in a circle" logo.

What causes a trend like this? I can think of a few things.
- it's technically easier to draw a spiral now than it was three years ago (it's built into Illustrator now)
- the concept of the Fibonacci spiral is talked about more, I think. I've seen a couple of specials on it, but maybe I'm more of a geek than most
- many designers automatically look to the web for inspiration.

Now, a good idea spreads like wildfire. Hey - spirals! Let's do THAT.

Now if we could just stop designers from using little pictures of people to show caring.


1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Boughner said...

"Uh Ryan, I want to start up an IT compuware synergy portal company. You know, real high-end stuff, offering business solutions and the like. But I want to really show that we're a company that cares. Can you do up a logo with, like, two silhouetted people kida high-fivin'? And make them standing over a spiral. My company's name is Techincal Synergy."

7/08/2005 04:31:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home