Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

7/29/2005

New and inventive ways to piss off your audience

My friend Andrew points me to an interesting type of advertising that I'd never seen before. Seems Toronto-1, recently purchased by City-TV, has begun running commercials during their evening movies, each running about five seconds long, inserted randomly between scenes.

I wasn't sure exactly what he was talking about when he first described these, so he was kind enough to send me a video copy. Let me tell you - these ads are possibly the most annoying thing on the face of the planet. They're jarring, loud, and completely interrupt any possible enjoyment you might have of whatever crappy movie they're playing on a Friday evening when you should be out with your friends anyway.

You can't really get the whole effect of how irritating these ads are without seeing for yourself, so I've posted the example, taken from tonight's presentation of "In the Line of Fire". The quality sucks, but I don't want to break my server, so you're going to have to deal with it. Take a look and judge for yourself. Go ahead. I'll wait.

http://www.syranmedia.com/adsthatsuck/blip.mov

Andrew suggested the name "blipverts" for these little ads, and I think it's a very fitting title. The term was originally coined in Max Headroom to describe the highly time-compressed ads that were part of the MH world.

I suggested in my last post that traditional media have to innovate in order to remain financially viable when more advertisers are turning to new media to sell their products. I will suggest in this one that this is not the way to do it.

A commentor in that post was quick to point out that newspapers have to sell more ads to stay in business now, but at the point that it becomes more of an advertising medium than an information medium - the audience would leave immediately. I think that's what's going to happen here.

Personally, I don't want to watch a movie with a product randomly screaming at me in the middle, and I don't think I'm alone. Is this the shape of things to come? Maybe, but only briefly - and people will get so annoyed with them, they'll just change the channel. I know I certainly will.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Linda said...

Wow, that is really annoying. How often do they pop up?

7/30/2005 12:05:00 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, not as often as I thought while watching. About once every other standard commercial break (which is what, fifteen minutes?), and they're cut to fit in-between scenes (ie., they don't break up the flow of the movie.

Andrew

7/30/2005 01:21:00 p.m.

 
Anonymous j0rk said...

omg. That is so annoying.

I think I need a Bud Light, now.

Wait! I don't drink Bud Light. I wonder where that came from? :|

8/16/2005 11:41:00 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this what the ad industry has come to?

I'm glad I left!

8/18/2005 09:15:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home