Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

7/06/2005

Oh, really - come on now!

Thanks to Carolyn for sending this one to me. I haven't checked to see if it's real, but I have no reason to doubt it. I can't look at this one without giggling... there is no room for commentary.


In other news, apparently the May issue of National Geographic ran an ad for the Toyota 4Runner that featured the SUV in a remote location, with the headline:

No intelligent life out here. Just you.

If you're going to be a copywriter, you have to be clever. You have to be a conscious of flow and metre, of metaphor and wordplay. You also have to be aware of what you are actually saying.

If:
There is no intelligent life out here
and:
I am out here
then:
I am not intelligent life
Therefore:
Toyota thinks people who buy 4runners are stupid.
QED.

This isn't to say that the concept sucks... just the execution. The sad part is, I'm sure the guy who wrote this is brilliant, and just happened to be half asleep the day he wrote that. I'm sure he's kicking himself now.

I haven't been able to actually find this ad anywhere, just references to it. If anyone has a copy or knows where I can find it, let me know.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm I wouldn't mind getting some of that on my next trip to the dentist...mmm.

7/06/2005 09:12:00 a.m.

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Be sure to ask for the gas.

7/06/2005 09:36:00 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh the gas option. right. hahaha :D -S

7/06/2005 01:50:00 p.m.

 
Blogger Joe Boughner said...

I'm more impressed that someone decided to market an SUV by showing it in a remote location. That's totally fresh.

Here's my ideal SUV commerical.

A suburban soccer mom sits in traffic, kids are in the backseat screaming, radio is playing one of those annoying shockjock radio shows. Suddenly, her low-fuel light clicks on. She looks up at the nearest gas station to see that gas has topped $1 per litre.

V/O: The new Toyoto 4Runner. Pillaging the world's resources and funding extremist Middle Eastern theocracies one sucker at a time.

7/06/2005 04:27:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home