Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

8/20/2005

Best slogan ever!

God love the Japanese.

As if their culture wasn't weird enough already, a company has begun marketing a guarana-infused non-alcoholic beer imitation aimed at kids. Fittingly named "Kidsbeer," the carbonated drink comes in beer bottles with authentic looking labels. The company started out shipping about 200 bottles per month and has now expanded to over 75,000 monthly.

Besides the obvious things that are completely and utterly wrong with this product, it bears what is now my favourite slogan of all time, translated from Japanese.

"Even kids cannot stand life unless they have a drink"

I hear ya, kids. Playtime is fucking rough sometimes.

Original article: Japan Times - August 6, 2005

5 Comments:

Anonymous elsewhere said...

i concur wholeheartedly. best slogan ever.

8/20/2005 11:13:00 PM

 
Anonymous morgan rooney said...

man, i wish they would have had something like this around when i was a kid, so i could have developed a taste for beer, say, at 5 or 6 years old. *sigh* i'm so antiquated.

8/22/2005 07:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only Americans would think there's something wrong with this.

8/25/2005 08:30:00 AM

 
Anonymous technopop said...

Someone posted this one in our group of ex-coworkers and friends IRC channel based out of Toronto.

I'm kinda mixed on this one.

I've got a 2 year old so I know first hand the effects of marketing on children. Especially with products like this.

OTOH, I remember getting Popeye candy cigarettes, which later became candy sticks. Then there was bubble gum cigarettes wrapped in wax that would blow a little bit of powder smoke if you blew hard enough.

I don't and never smoked and knew the difference between real and fake.

I guess there's just a fine line that has gotten thicker over the years.

8/25/2005 02:05:00 PM

 
Anonymous Karolijn said...

They have non-alcoholic beer here.

It's not marketed at kids, but I remember my dad letting me have it when I was little and wanted to be like the grown-ups. I didn't really like the taste of it much but it DOES exist.

That aside, it is a great slogan :)

9/06/2005 05:04:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home