Rants on all the ads that suck. Updated whenever it tickles my fancy to do so. Now moved to http://adsthatsuck.ca

THIS SITE HAS MOVED TO http://www.adsthatsuck.ca

8/03/2005

More infiltration

In discussing the infiltration of advertising with colleagues lately, I've discovered another surprising sore spot for ads: movies.

Okay... show of hands, who absolutely abhors those commercial spots that play before films in the theatre?

Even in my office, the verdict was unanimous that these ads are the most offensive thing that has ever transpired in the history of man.

I remember when these first started showing up on a regular basis, and friends of mine often railed against it. Their argument was usually along the lines of the fact that they paid $10 to get into the movie, so they shouldn't be subject to any commercial messages. To me, paying $15 for popcorn and a drink is more offensive than any of that, but that's neither here nor there.

That got me thinking about the sanctity of certain things when it comes to advertising. Clearly, to these people, the space before trailers (also ads) was holy ground. I'm curious as to the places (other than the obvious) that people would find advertising unacceptable.

What's sacred to you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous morgan rooney said...

the pisser. god, there's nothing more i hate than someone trying to sell me something when, as i have to be doing in that situation, i'm holding my johnson and concentrating on the task, um, at hand.

8/04/2005 10:02:00 a.m.

 
Anonymous karolijn said...

Anything that obscures a good view

I'm from a small town which is known for it's attractiveness. As you drive into town from the South, you go down a hill overlooking Big Rideau Lake, it's quite pretty.

A family from the neighbouring town put a HUGE, UGLY billboard advertising their store RIGHT at the bottom of it.

Everyone was pretty pissed off about it to the point where it was knocked down a few times. But it kept going back up - and it's still there.

The worst part is the family is from the area, and their store is in another town - and competes directly with a store in our town.

Imagine if Shelbyville Speedymart were to advertise in front of the Quick-e Mart.

But I think that's more of a small town thing.

8/04/2005 02:50:00 p.m.

 
Blogger Ryan said...

It's funny - public washrooms don't bother me. It only gives me something to read, but I can see why people don't like it.

I have to say, billboards in the country are a big pet peeve of mine, too. I love the country, and I love the scenery... putting a billboard in the middle of it just ruins everything.

One of my favourite quotes is from David Ogilvy, one of the godfathers of modern advertising:

'As a private person, I have a passion for landscape, and I have never seen one improved by a billboard. Where every prospect pleases, man is at his vilest when he erects a billboard. When I retire from Madison Avenue, I am going to start a secret society of masked vigilantes who will travel around the world on silent motor bicycles, chopping down posters at the dark of the moon. How many juries will convict us when we are caught in these acts of beneficent citizenship?'

David Ogilvy, founder of the Ogilvy & Mather advertising agency, in Confessions of an Advertising Man, 1963

8/04/2005 04:30:00 p.m.

 
Anonymous Ryan/Andy said...

I suppose I would say that the common problem with all of hese ads is that a balance is being tipped.
My newly acquired journalism/mass comm degree taught me that television advertising is like a contract with the viewers to pay for the programming. You watch their ads but none of us are being asked directly to cover the costs of say will and grace or the west wing. In return for watching the ads we are presented with free entertainment.
I think the problem with the movies, the billboard and the pisser is we don't get anything in return. We are subjected to an add and don't get anything for it. In the case of the movie we have already paid for it so they are taking our money and then taking our time and then showing us the movie. The pisser and the billboard are really straight forward examples of the same problem.
.... And who says my degree is wothless

8/08/2005 06:41:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home